Background

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Who needs an umbrella?



When we moved this summer, I knew it would be different. What is funny, though, is how it is different. The biggest change that we notice is the weather. First of all, it is stinkin' hot! Tons of humidity. Being raised in South Texas, this shouldn't be a shocker, but I suppose I quickly adjusted to the temps and lack of humidity in New Mexico.


Another huge adjustment has been the rain. In NM, it took a while for me to get used to the lack of rain. In the beginning, when the wind blew, I would tell my hubby, "Oh, I bet it is going to rain!" He would laugh! The wind there is not a sign of a coming storm. Now it is! It seems like practically every evening there is rain, and not just rain- but thunder and lightening! This is pretty amazing coming from a place where the rain is measured to the nearest 100th of an inch!


On our way here, I was overwhelmed with the abundance of water on this side of the U.S. I'm thinking these people don't run out in the middle of the storm to look at the rain gauge (like some New Mexicans I know..)

We had a storm the other night, and we jumped in the jeep to go around post to look at all the water. Strange, I know, but again we haven't seen rain like this in a long time! You would have thought we were at the zoo or something, the kids were in awe and so excited as they pointed out the window at the standing water, or gushing water. Tons of branches and a few trees were knocked down, so since then, they want to drive and see if the trees are still down. Don't say we aren't exciting people!!! Needless to say, things are green! And I'm thinking, maybe we now should invest in an umbrella!






3 comments:

  1. Great job on the blog. If you and Jason are interested I have a blog as well. It should be on my profile names family man. If not for some strange reason, mine is: www.livingthedream25.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love being able to keep up with you all, makes me feel like I am there with you. Cathy, I knew you were smart, but I am very impressed with your writing. Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have 2 big umbrellas if you ever want to borrow one... and just think, in a few months you will be driving around (on the new BIG tires) looking at the piles of snow!! =)

    ReplyDelete